Monday, February 9, 2009

Highlight of the day

This post is difficult to write. Sometimes words are so limiting in describing feelings and presence. Today was my birthday. Despite the many wishes, presents and good intentions of all those around me, I did not feel particularly happy, ...nor sad. It was one of those introverted days when the world around me doesn't seem to touch me, or cannot reach me. Not sure what causes those days.
After a delicious dinner (which I cooked :-) I love cooking), my wife and I cuddled on the couch and together with the kids watched Heartland and House. It was a nice evening but not enough to make me write this.
Just before midnight, I decided to step on the deck to greet the full moon and was awestruck with the dominating halo in the dark night sky. It filled the heavens like white foggy flames dancing around a vast black funnel through which the female energies of the full moon were channeled to earth. Never in my life had I seen anything like it. I called those in the house who were still awake to the deck to share the experience.
It was simply magical. The silence of the night, the crisp air on my skin, the bright light of the moon and the mysterious black circle, marked by white fog, almost taking up the entire sky. As I sat outside drinking in the moment, I realized I forgot to let the horses out.
My wife and I had gone for a ride late afternoon and had put our willing steeds in the barn so they could dry up before turning them out with the rest of the herd in the cold of the freezing night. Mike, my horse and friend hates the stalls. So leaving him there overnight wasn't something I was going to let him endure. In a way I was glad he provided me a reason to get outside in this powerful night. So I hiked to the barn to allow my four footed friends to join their brother and sisters .
It is here that words fall short to describe the experience and feelings that immersed my being. I stayed outside for about half an hour, just hanging out with the horses who at first, in the excitement of uniting, were galloping through the snow in the moonlit field. As I was soaking in the night, admired the grace of these majestic animals and reflected on the ride we made earlier in the day, it struck me how lucky I really am to experience all this. Mike, my muscular four footed friend carries me willingly on his back whenever and wherever I want to go. He warms me when I need warmth, runs with me when I desire speed and comforts me when I need a grounding companion. When we ride, I feel his muscles work, his lungs fill with oxygen, his heart beat, and his spirit dance. It's like our souls merge, as one.
Mike doesn't pollute the air, doesn't need gas and doesn't make any roaring sounds. Surely, he cannot carry me in just a few hours to another continent like the metal tubes with wings we fly in, nor can he role me from city to city. But when we hectically travel around the world in our metal transportation boxes, how much of the world do we really see? How much of the magic of life do we really experience? Do we pause to observe the timeless beauty of a tree, the perfect shape of an ice crystal, the cool dry air on our skin, the grace of an animal? Do we let the magic of the winter night sky touch our souls as our hearts soak in peace with creatures who walk on four legs, carry us on their backs and whose language we do not speak?
Nature is such a powerful teacher. I hope many more will explore its lessons so that we can detach of material possessions, silence our machines, slow our pace and allow the magnificence of creation to touch our souls, so that our hearts can experience the radiant joy of light and bathe in peace by simply being and enjoying the moment.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Hugo,
    How are you. Hope all are ok. Well Hugo you must have a charmed life to be able to scrutinise nature like you do. It must nice to have the time and the energy to think of a horse and the moon in the way you do. I admire you. Life for others is not maybe, as laid back as yours. Still, I see that you are trying to get others to think about things like you do. Alas, I dont have the time and therefore I will let this beautiful world pass me by until I fly pass the silvery moon on my way to heaven. LOL
    Regards to Ilsa, Terry

    ReplyDelete